POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Shelf Scene : Re: Shelf Scene Server Time
19 Aug 2024 08:20:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Shelf Scene
From: Josh English
Date: 29 Jan 2001 07:25:58
Message: <3A756155.814B8DA0@spiritone.com>
Chris Huff wrote:

> In article <3A74CD57.E1A655F2@spiritone.com>, Joshua English
> <eng### [at] spiritonecom> wrote:
>
> > This is part of a larger scene I'm working on. The candle has an
> > emitting media and an absorption value of 5, but it's still barley
> > visible. I also have an area light attached to the candle, and I hope
> > that scaling and translating it hasn't done too much damage to it.
> >
> > I want to do more with the cross, but I'm not sure what I can do with
> > it. The plank is from the ISO wood include file. The book is is simple
> > csg with image maps, and the paper is a bicubic patch with uv mapping.
> >
> > Any comments/suggestions?
>
> The perspective on the cross seems really strange...is it supposed to be
> resting on the square of wood at the bottom and leaning against the rock
> (?) wall? Try either making it stand straight or lean at less of an
> angle.

It is supposed to be leaning against the wall. The edge of the cross is 0.4
units from the wall and it is 1 unit high. I had hoped to make the shadow
illustrate that. I'll work on it.

> The scale of everything seems off...the book seems to be about 2 inches
> wide, but looks like it's meant to be a large, hard bound book. The wood
> square at the bottom looks like it's no more than 6 inches square, and
> the cross looks like it's made of toothpicks. I'd suggest you use a
> smaller scaled wood and increase the size of the book relative to the
> paper. Maybe make the table out of several planks, it looks like it is
> supposed to be roughly built.

I'll work on that. The book is meant to be a smaller leather bound style
book, but it's a bit thick here.

> The candle flame...sometimes you need really high density values,
> depending on the scale of your scene. Try tripling the emission and
> doubling the absorption.

I'll keep upping it. I had no idea I had to go so high to make that flame
visible.. then I guess the next step is to make it look good ; )

> And finally, the combination of straight and rough edges on the rock
> wall seems odd, and my eyes can't find the line where the wall meets the
> floor. And it looks like you have a high ambient on everything, making
> the scene appear washed out and lacking depth...try using ambient 0 on
> everything and use radiosity or a fill light at the camera location and
> about rgb 0.2-rgb 0.35 brightness. And the area light causes visible
> lines, maybe use a jitter value there.

The floor isn't visible. It's a shelf with some darn near invisible braces.
The pattern on the wall is inexplicable. There are two crackle patterns with
the same densities, one of which has transparent bands in it, and the
surfaces are less than 0.1 units apart, but the patterns are vastly
different. I'll have to rework those into one surface.

> Uh, well, that's all I can think of. Enough? ;-)

Thanks for the advise. I'll try to get that scale problem fixed

> BTW, the light colored rock looks great, and the paper is perfect...

Thanks, for some reason the paper causes MacMegaPov to crash when it draws a
pixel for that paper on my G3, but on my older iMac it works. I suspect it
might have something to do with the tga file and the transparenct channel.

--
Josh English -- Lexiphanic Lethomaniac
eng### [at] spiritonecom